I've been in a major funk since September 2010. The funk has ebbed and flowed. Things seem better and then they're bad again. I'm getting better at admitting when things are bad. When will things be consistently good?

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Day 84

I've kept Starbucks in business the past 3 days with how many venti caramel light frappaccino's I've had.  It's somewhere between 8 and 10.  (I really wish that were a typo.)  The caffeine withdrawal headache is not going to be good.  But I digress.

Here's what I know to be true about me as a person.  (List to follow in no particular order.)  I've known this for the past 18-19 months but didn't know how to change it or if I even wanted to.  Now that I'm meeting therapist #2 tomorrow I figured I should probably be ready to articulate why I'm there.

For as long as I can remember I've wanted to "do well" whenever possible.  If it was possible to get 100% on an assignment, even in the first grade, then I wanted to.  I don't know how a 6-year old comes to feel this way but I did.  If I know I can't get 100% for some reason then I'm ok with that usually.  But if I know it's possible "to be perfect" then I want that and am usually pretty frustrated if it doesn't happen.  I hate feeling dumb also falls under this category I think.  I don't like asking for help either.  I want to be able to do things myself.  I think that covers that crap.

For as long as I can remember I've hated conflict (and change).  Growing up I always felt like it was my job to "smooth things over" and to change the subject and to make other people happy.  I hate it when people are annoyed.  I generally think it's over petty things that don't really matter and it is really upsetting to hear people argue.  So I usually approach situations with the "I don't care" attitude because I don't want there to be any conflict.  It's easier to "go with the flow" except that you rarely get to do what you really want to do.  Therefore, I typically prefer to do things alone.

I don't feel like I can be honest with people.  I'm afraid that if I'm honest then people will either not understand or they won't like me.  Either way I end up feeling like no one loves me for me.  (And I know this isn't true but since my brain is so messed up right now I feel that it's true.  I don't love me right now because I'm mad that I let myself get all crazy.  I'm mad that I care more about what others think than what I think.  I'm mad that I'm not comfortable standing up for what is best for me.  I'm mad that I don't feel like I can be honest.  I'm mad that I can't go to church without crying.  I'm just mad...and sad...all at the same time.)

And finally, why are you letting yourself gain all your weight back?  The main three answers are: I'm not worth it.  Being a healthy size didn't change anything so why bother.  People criticized me for losing too much weight and a lot of conflict developed from the choices I was making.

I know I need to decide that what I want matters.  The problem is I don't know what I want.  I do know that I want to feel good about myself...and right now I don't.  I know I need to believe that I don't need to explain my actions to anyone but to God.  I don't need anyone else's approval.  I know all of these things in my brain but I don't really believe them.  And that's why I'm so messed up right now.  At least I know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment