I've been in a major funk since September 2010. The funk has ebbed and flowed. Things seem better and then they're bad again. I'm getting better at admitting when things are bad. When will things be consistently good?

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Day 24

Review days stress me out.  Thank goodness I knew what I was going to be eating today.  It helps keep things in check.  I did venture out to the store this evening and stopped at a drive-thru Starbucks for a tall latte with nonfat milk.

I rowed this evening.  I dislike intervals.  They suck.  3 sets of 8 minutes with 2 minutes of rest.  That isn't a whole lot of rest.  It was whatever.  I just wanted to get the rowing in before my 3 day break.  So I got 1832m, then 1872m, and finally 1821m.  I was really trying to match my first interval on the last one but I started my "sprint" to the finish a bit too late.  Still keeping the damper at a 5 for now.  I've rowed 296,878 meters since the middle of November.  It's been an interesting experience.

The funniest part of the evening was when a kid who graduated last year texted me to see how I was doing.  I said fine and all that and he texts back and says,  "u sure ur alright.  U don't seem quite ur self?  Ur not as hopeful and Cheery?"

So I said, "No i'm good, just kinda tired.  I haven't had any sugar in 10 days and that may be part of it."

Then he says, "Hm well ok, are u dieting?  Or why no sugar?"

So I tell him, "If I eat sugar then I just want more and more.  It's like a drug to me.  So not a diet, more like a lifestyle change."

He comes back with, "Hm well thats kinda normal?  Right?  Im kinda doing the same but thats bc I'm trying to become skinner, I'm running too so I'm more like getting more in to shape if anything.  But having something sweet every once in a while is not bad, if u can't stop then its will power that u need right?  If u need will power think of it like a muscle the more u use it the stronger it becomes, practice little things at first (btw this is good for getting rid of bad habits too)."

So I replied, "Ahh, (name of kid) you're sweet.  For me I think I've accepted that sugar is like alcohol to an alcoholic.  I just can't have any and I'm ok with that although it does make me a bit sad.  Glad to know you are being healthy."

He texts, ":/ fine, just saying u don't need to give it up.  I really recommend u work on will power that way u can still have some and i think i did read something about sugar being like a drug or something."

Then I said, "I love that people feel bad for me and want me to eat 'normally' but my normal has changed.  If I told you I was giving up cocaine you'd be really happy for me, but no one feels that way about sugar."

He says, "Haha i guess thats true :/ but ok."

I said, ":)  it's all good, really."

He won't let up and says, "Ok but aren't people suppose to have some sugar?  Wait did u give up all sugar or just added sugar (because i don't even eat fruit bc it has sugar)".

That part cracked me up, like a lot of the rest did, so I wrote back, "I gave up all added sugar and all it's derivatives.  But I do eat about 2 servings of fruit a day.  :)  Yay for apples and bananas."

He had to go and ended with, "Haha ok."

So yeah, I love getting advice from teenagers.  They have lived so long and know so much.  It makes me smile thinking about it now.  Even if they've had some crap in their lives they're still fairly innocent in their speech.  I wonder if this is how "older" people view those of us in our 30's.  Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment